Construction Estimator – Herndon VA
SUMMARY OF POSITION
We are seeking a motivated and experienced Construction Estimator for our growing Building Division. Based in Kinsley’s Herndon, VA office, the Estimator will primarily work on projects in the greater DC Metro market. The Estimator will prepare estimates for part or all of a project, and must work as part of a team. The Estimator will report directly to the Director of Pre-Construction and the Project Executive.
A successful candidate should possess an Engineering or Construction Management degree or background along with applicable estimating experience, strong computer skills, good communication skills and a willingness to learn.
- Prepare scopes of work for subcontractors on upcoming bids.
- Directly communicate with subcontractors through various channels to gain coverage.
- Develop preliminary project schedules.
- Assist in resolving problems, which may arise during construction.
- Review plans and specifications for completeness and prepare RFI’s for additional information required.
- Set up bid opportunities, send out invitations, and track coverage through Smart Bid software.
- Prepare detailed estimates and update the current project estimate for changes or additions to the scope of the project for the project using the Timberline estimating software estimating.
- Prepare takeoffs for all work normally performed by Kinsley personnel including, but not limited to, concrete, steel, carpentry, doors, specialties and equipment installations.
- Become familiar with construction methods and standard specifications for work Kinsley personnel perform.
- Obtain competitive pricing from material suppliers and subcontractors as required.
- Work with the Project Manager to purchase and order materials required for the project as may be required to facilitate project start-up.
- Monitor cost on projects for variances to the estimate and for use in preparation of bids on future projects.
- Stay abreast of current technology and construction methods in an effort to continually improve production and quality.
- Be part of the Project Team – setting strategy, estimating, detailing scope of work and assisting the marketing group in the procurement of projects.
- Secure required bid bonds and coordinate insurance requirements.
- Review contract requirements with in-house legal and subcontractors.
- Coordinate the final scope of work, contract, manpower and schedule requirements with subcontractors prior to award of the subcontract.
- Experience or comfort with construction documentation and estimating software including drawings and specifications; Timberline estimating software; Microsoft products including Word, Excel and Project; and quantity take-off systems QTO, OST and Paydirt.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- 2-4 years commercial estimating experience strongly preferred
- Prior field construction experience preferred
- 2-4 Year post-secondary degree preferred
Apply Online Submit Resume
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS AND INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.